Acne (Acne Vaulgaris) is an extremely common inflammatory skin disease that tends to affect most people in their adolescent years. The major symptoms of Acne are pimples, pustules, blackheads and papules. The bacterium “Propionibacterium acnes” has been identified as the major cause of Acne but various other causative factors exist, viz. hormonal changes, stress and overactive sebaceous glands.
While Acne is a definite eyesore; it is not considered a serious health problem and it generally clears out with increasing age. Unfortunately, in a minority of cases Acne is known to lead to permanent skin scarring. These scars deform the face and can lead to a lot of very serious psychological problems like low self-worth, loss of confidence and even depression so as you can imagine their are many people who want to remove acne scars. These facial scars can also impede one’s career and social life drastically. The best way to prevent facial scarring is to treat Acne outbreaks ASAP. Nevertheless, this is not always possible so various treatment options do exist nowadays to resolve your question of how to get rid of acne scars. Treatment differs according to the type of Acne scars and the skin sensitivity of the patient in question. A short description of the various Acne scars and the respective treatment options to remove acne scars is given below.
1. Boxcar Scars: Boxcar scars measure more than 3 mm in diameter and appear similar to chicken pox scars. They cause round depressions on the dermis and give the skin a matted appearance.
2. Ice Pick scars: Ice-pick scars are 1-2 mm in diameter. They are so named as they form very narrow incisions into the upper level of the skin; similar to a small ice-pick wound.
3. Rolling scars: Rolling scars cause abnormal wave-like undulations on the dermis. They are usually 4-5 mm in diameter.
4. Hypertrophic scars: Hypertrophic or Keloid scars tend to appear when the Acne clears out. They are raised lesions which tend to get larger with time. They might itch or be painful in certain cases.
Treatment options to remove acne scars fast:
1. Punch Excision/Punch Elevation: Punch Excision is a mildly invasive treatment which involves the use of a small surgical tool to cut out Acne scars. The resultant wound is then stuttered using skin adhesives. On the other hand, the base of the scar is elevated in Punch Elevation, making the skin look much more leveled and fine. This diminishes the appearance of the Acne scar significantly. Both these techniques are mainly used to treat Ice Pick scars and deep Boxcar scars.
2. Dermabrasion: Dermabrasion is a surgical procedure in which the Acne scars are frozen and an instrument is then used to “sand” the affected area of the skin. This abrasive action generally leads to the formation of an entirely new layer of skin in the affected area, thereby removing the Acne scars present. This procedure involves the use of localized anesthesia and can lead to side-effects. It is mostly used to treat Boxcar scars and Rolling scars.
3. Subcision: Subcision is used as a solution to how to remove acne scars by separating the fibrous bands supporting the scars. This is done by inserting a sharp needle with an upward pointing tip at a distance of 1-2 cm from the scar. Repetitive to and fro movement is then used to separate the scars from the dermis. This eventually propels the scar upwards and makes it easy to remove. Subcision is generally used in combination with other Acne scar treatments.
4. Laser Resurfacing: In this procedure; a non-ablative laser is used to burn the scarred skin. The highly focused laser destroys the scarred area one layer at a time; leaving fresh skin in its wake. Two types of lasers; the Erbium laser and the Carbon Dioxide laser, are generally used for this purpose. This procedure is used to treat all types of Acne scars.
5. Other Treatments: Hypertrophic or Keloid scars are exclusively treated with topical steroid (cortisone) creams and injections. In cases where scarring is severe; Alpha Interferon injections are generally used.
While the above mentioned techniques can be successfully utilized as solutions to how to get rid of acne scars, it is much easier and manageable to avoid scarring by promptly treating Acne outbreaks whenever they occur. You might also want to first try home remedies for acne scars which would be a good way to get rid of acne scars naturally. Before some of these more expensive treatment options. You might be interested in these other articles on this topic such as how to get rid of pimples fast and how to prevent acne.